Wednesday, October 23, 2013

"Waiting On" Wednesday: Cambridge


"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted here, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:


Cambridge
By Susanna Kaysen

Publication Date: March 18

From Amazon:

From the best-selling author of Girl, Interrupted, a novel-from-life by turns funny and sad: the story of a girl growing up in the 1950s among the academics and artists of Cambridge, Massachusetts, and her tangled attempts to understand herself, her family, and her place in the world.

Uprooted from the familiar, beloved streets around Harvard Square, the precocious young narrator Susanna feels lost when her family moves across the Atlantic for a sabbatical abroad. After a year in London and then Italy, she comes home with relief, a little wiser. Then Vishwa, a brilliant orchestra conductor, enters the family orbit and shows Susanna new ways of thinking not only about music-her mother's passion-but also about the power of love and of art. Later still, after another family sojourn overseas, this time in Greece, she returns to Cambridge with a sense of restless otherness, feeling herself an outsider wherever she is. Immediate and subtle, written with a fiercely sharp eye, Cambridge captures the fears and wonders of childhood, the mores of an era now past, the ordinary lives of extraordinary people in a singular part of America, and the ways we can-and cannot-go home.



What's your "waiting on" pick this week?

Want to participate? Grab the logo, post your own WoW entry on your blog, and leave your link below!





30 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

I loved this author's book Girl Interrupted...so I want this one!

The Reading Nook Reviews said...

I love books like Cambridge - thank you so much for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I love the title.. and the premise is interesting..

Reese's Reviews said...

Haven't heard of that one but I hope you enjoy!

Sweetest Ambrosia said...

Cambridge sounds like a meaningful story about a girl trying to find her place in the world. It is interesting that she grows up around so many intellectuals. Thank you for sharing!

Ellen @ Glamorous Book Lounge

Obsession with Books said...

A great pick! I hope you enjoy it :-)

Happy reading.

Book Blather said...

Cambridge definitely sounds interesting! I saw the movie adaption of 'Girl, Interrupted' but I've never tackled the book. I'm thinking I should try something by this author, it's just a question of what. Cool WOW pick. :-)

Book Blather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catherine @ Book Club Librarian said...

I love books with an academic setting...this one is going on my wish list.

Sam's Book Basket said...

This sounds so good!

My WoW: Click here :D

Unknown said...

The cover brings out a flood of romantic images in my mind. And the theme of growing up and changing... sounds nice :)

Unknown said...

Great pick, I love the cover!

Jacque said...

Cambridge sounds really good and I love the cover. My husband is a rower, so I have seen that boathouse while at the Head of the Charles. I haven't read Girl Interrupted, but I will definitely have to check this one out. Thanks for sharing.

Here is my STS: http://jacquesbooknook.blogspot.com/2013/10/waiting-on-wednesday-retribution-of.html

Anonymous said...

love this meme because I can found new books, haven't heard about this one and it looks interesting :)

Unknown said...

You always find such great titles! I'm not sure how you do it but you do it again and again!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link up :) I look forward to finding more about Cambridge!

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

I didn't read Girl Interrupted, but I'm assuming it's (kinda) same as the book? Interesting! I'm very curious as to how much of the traveling is detailed in the book! Sounds great! Thanks for sharing! :)

Jessica L. Brooks (coffeelvnmom) said...

Coffee not kicking in enough yet, apparently. I meant, "... but I've seen the movie... I'm assuming it's (kinda) the same as the book?"

*sigh*

Tressa @ Wishful Endings said...

That sounds like a really good book! I hope you enjoy it when you get your hands on a copy!

Tressa @ Tressa's Wishful Endings

A Belle’s Tales said...

Ooo, from the author of Girl Interrupted! Sounds great! Thanks for sharing.

Tina's Blog said...

I loved Girl, Interrupted---the setting is what is calling my name!

Laura said...

Hello Jill,

that's a really nice idea from you. Thanks for that. :-)
Greetings from the german-speaking side Austria.

Love,
Laura

Unknown said...

This is a new one for me! Sounds really good though and by the same author that wrote Girl, Interrupted? Loved the movie but haven't yet read the book. Awesome pick. :)
My WoW Pick!

Lisa Mandina said...

Not really my kind of book, but the cover is nice.

vvb32 reads said...

I would be interested in reading this one as I've always wondered what it was like to be on sabbatical.

Roxy said...

Hey, I just linked up and it's my first time participating! This is such a cool meme, I love it!!!

wolfie 402 said...

I love a good historical fiction(:
And the ways we can and cannot go home... I love it already.
Thanks for sharing!

Wolfie
writer-person.blogspot.com

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

This is going to be my first time participating in WoW, and I'm so excited!!

Breanna

Breannasyabookshelf.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

I absolutely adore the book cover!