Wednesday, December 17, 2008

"Waiting On" Wednesday: The Sweet By and By

This week's pre-publication "can't-wait-to-read" selection is:

The Sweet By and By
By Todd Johnson
Publication Date: February 17

From Publishers Weekly:

"Johnson's bittersweet and often humorous hen-lit debut portrays the lives of five very different Southern women: compassionate Lorraine, bossy Margaret, grief-stricken Bernice, ambitious April and brusque Rhonda. At the center of this character-driven novel is Lorraine, a nurse at the nursing home where Margaret and Bernice live. As the three women drift into friendship, hairdresser Rhonda arrives to take a part-time job, and the older women begin to change her life. Lorraine's daughter, April, meanwhile, is also gradually drawn into the circle. The story unfolds slowly over decades and life milestones, giving the characters plenty of time to reveal themselves. The underlying message of the power of love and friendship resonates, as does its depiction of the way in which people leading unremarkable lives can have a tremendous impact on those around them."

An author's debut? Southern fiction? I'm all about that.

What's your "waiting on" pick this week?

Leave a comment with either the link to your own "Waiting On" Wednesday post or just your answer (if you don't have a blog).

13 comments:

Alea said...

Here's mine for the week!

Mary (Bookfan) said...

Sounds like a good one!

Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me too!

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

I'm all about this one too!

MySharonAnne said...

Here is mine:http://sharonlovesbooksandcats.blogspot.com/2008/12/waiting-on-wednesday_17.html

gautami tripathy said...

This one sounds worth waiting for.

Here is mine!

Ink Mage said...

Mine:
http://inkmagic.blogspot.com/2008/12/wow-betraying-season-by-marissa-doyle.html

Anonymous said...

Here's mine.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I can link this week as we're home from vacation. Mine is newest from Tami Hoag and can be found here.

Today I Read said...

This is my first time participating in Waiting on Wednesday, but it was a lot of fun. :)

Here's my pick: WoW: I Think Zombies Ate My Fence

(Hopefully the title will make sense when you see the book. LOL)

Todd Johnson said...

Hi Jill (and everyone), A link to your blog was forwarded to me this morning. I'm the author of The Sweet By and By. All I can say is...WOW, what an incredible way to start the day. Your enthusiasm about the book means more than you know. My website www.ToddJohnsonBooks.com will be up and running in a matter of days. You can find out more about The Sweet By and By, and I'd be thrilled to hear from you. Hope you love the book, and have great holidays! Todd

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

That one sounds really good.

Mine is here: http://www.linussblanket.com/2008/12/wating-on-wednesday-121708.html

avisannschild said...

How cool that the author commented on this post! I mentioned your post and this book on my blog, but it was the cover that inspired me... Read my post here.