Sunday, December 14, 2008

Sunday Salon: Best Fiction of 2008


It's that time of year, and everyone is weighing in on the best fiction releases of 2008. Here's a roundup of five lists:

1. Publishers Weekly

2. Library Journal
Of this list, I read All We Ever Wanted Was Everything (review here), Cost (review here), and Olive Kitteridge (brief review here).

3. Washington Post

I read America, America (review here), Goldengrove (review here), and The House on Fortune Street (before my blog launch). Olive Kitteridge made their list as well.

4. New York Times

5. Amazon

I may need to add a few of these to my TBR, given that there are lots of titles on these lists that I didn't read. One consistent inclusion was Home by Marilynne Robinson, which I just couldn't get through.

I'm curious...what did you think was overlooked that made your personal list of best fiction this year?

9 comments:

Literary Feline said...

Reading these lists always proves to be interesting. Sometimes they come up with books I've never heard of. :-)

I need to start thinking of what I'll put on my own list for this year . . .

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I want to read The Northern Clemency.

As a rule, these lists tend to annoy me. Maybe I'm just jealous that I'll never be able to read them all.

Thanks for posting all the links, Jill.

JoAnn said...

i have been posting on one particular AOL message board for 15 years, and for the last ten years we have compiled our list of favorites (fiction and non-fiction). I like our list the best! LOL

I will be posting the winners on my blog sometime after Feb.1 if you want to check in.

everydaymatters.typepad.com

Marie Cloutier said...

I can't even begin to figure out my best of 2008 list yet- my head is still spinning from all the reading i've been doing! :-)

Lisa (Southern Girl Reads) said...

Whenever I read these lists, I'm always amazed at how few of them I know about! I tend to read a lot of first-time authors and many of them don't make lists such as these.

Dawn @ sheIsTooFondOfBooks said...

I always like to read these lists; there are often a few titles that overlap on many lists (and I tend to stay away from those :) )

Okie said...

Thanks for pulling these lists together in a single location. I'm always interested to see what the "authorities" think. At the very least, they give me some new books to look at. :)

Salvador said...

Mexican women radiate a hot mexican babes magnificent charm. Typical of her is the southern temperament, but also the role of a housewife, which she likes to take on. In this article further characteristics of beautiful Mexican women.

สล็อตเว็บตรง said...

เว็บ ตรง pg บริการเล่นเกมวิดีโอสล็อตแบบ 3 มิติ เป็นเกม pgslot ออนไลน์ที่มาแรงที่สุดที่ผู้เล่นสามารถสมัคร ฝาก-ถอน และก็รับเครดิตฟรีได้ด้วยระบบอัตโนมัติเล่นได้ทุกที่ทุกเวลา